On the road from Karpaz to Famagusta you see the town Yeni Iskele. The old name of the town is Trikomo. This town is special with relocation of Turks from the Turkish district Iskele in Larnaca on the sout coast of island. The Turks who lived there before the war in 1974. They moved in 1975 to Trikomo, which was renamed as Yeni (new) Iskele. At the center of the town there is the 17th century of St. Jacob (Avios Iakovos). There is an odd coincidence in the fact that the town was the birthplace of the EOKA - colonel George Grivas. He was a leading spokesman of Cyprus reunion with Greece.
- Golden Beaches
North Cyprus is proud to offer crystal clear beaches that one can hardly find anywhere else in the Mediterranean; it has a varied coastline and amenities for swimmers, luxurious beaches of large hotels or remote ones lost behind wild dunes. On the east coast between Famagusta and Bogaz, a golden beach stretches for about 15 miles. By contrast on the north coast on either side of Kyrenia, there are cosy beaches with bars and sports facilities. Futhermore, isolated creeks decorate the landscape for nearly 20 miles. On the two sides of the Karpaz Peninsula, a large expanse of immaculate dunes bordered with tamarisk and wild olive groves await the courageous and well equipped hiker. As there are no asphalt roads to these dream places, a reliable, off-road vehicle is essential. At Güzelyurt Bay to the west, a long sandy beach stretches out beautifully but is accessible only for the adventurous. Ideal climatic conditions make it possible for water lovers to enjoy swimming for about eight months in a year. In fact, most European visitors take the advantage of the wonderful climatic conditions of our island and not only swimm all year round bot also enjoy various water sports activities including sailing, snorkeling, windsurfing, water skiing etc.
Apostolos Andreas Monastery
The Apostolos Andreas Monastery is located on the place known as the Cape of Saint Andrea, is devoted to Saint Andrew (Apostle Andreas). Information about the saint whom the monastery has been named after comes from the holy books. As he was the first person to be called for induction to priesthood by Christ, his title was "O Protoklitos meaning, the one first called".
The room under the modern church in which there are wells containing drinking water is thought to have been a chapel belonging to the old monastery buildings. On the bust in the courtyard of the monastery the monastery is stated to have been built by Pope lonnis Oicoromus. Both Turks and Greeks consider the monastery a holy place; it is visited by many people for votive prayers. The contents of the monastery are also noteworthy.
Kantara is one of the most important castles by which the natural defense of the Kyrenia range was reinforced. The word "Kantara" in Arabic means bridge or arch. Since this castle bridges the range amd commands all the area surrounding it, the name is more than appropriate. It is built on a group of steep cliffs. The origins of Kantara castle go back to the 10th century when it was built as a lookout post. The first reference to the castle in therecords is in 1191 when Richard the Lionheart captures Cyprus and Issac Commenos, the rebel Byzantine price from Trabzon who had captured the island and proclaiming himself King of the island, after having ruled for seven years as a despot, sheltered in Kantara. In the 12th century the Lusignans remodeled it.
Throughout the island's history Kantara often served as a shelter for defeated barons and kings. When the Genoese conquered Famagusta and Nicosia in 1373, Kantara remained in the hands of John of Antioch, the brother of King Peter I till he moved to St. Hilarion. Later his brother King James I (1382-1398) refortified Kantara.
St. Hilarion Castle
According to a legend, the castle is said to be named after a holy man and hermit who lived there fo the last years of his life and is said to be buried there in the 8th century A.D. A church was founded on his grave and later a monastery was built around it. In the 10th Century a castle was erected around this area as part of an early - warning system. The Lusignan rulers used it during the Middle Ages as a summer residence after which Venetians took over. Besides its enchanting historical background, the wonderful views from St. Hilarion castle are not the be missed.
Ayia Trias Basilica
It is thought that the Basilica was built in the 6th century A.D. and it was demolished in the late of 7th century. Later it has been rebuilt but it was destroyed again in the ninth and tenth centuries A.D.. It is known that the motifs on the mosaics were made by the priests.
Kanakaria Church and Monastery
The structure was built by Byzantine ruler in the early 6th century. Some sections of the momastery was demaged by the Arab pirates in the late of 7th. The building contains lots of good examples for Christian mosaic patterns.
Ayios Philon Church and Monastery
It has been constructed on ruins dating from the Hellenistic and Roman periods. Philon is the saint who converted the people of Karpaz to Christianity in the 4th century. The church comprises a three-part apsis and a courtyard surrounded with columns. There are colourful mosaics on the floor. A domed church was built in the 12th century on the ruins of the old building destroyed by the Arab pirates. It also has a cistern and a baptising room. The region it is in, is the vicinity of the town of Karpasia in the Phoenician period.
Iskele Icon Museum
This museum was opened to public visits on 23rd May, 1991 in the church of the village as a result of work carried out by the Department of Antiquities and Museums of the Ministry of National Education and Culture. The church housing the museum was constructed in the late of 11th century.